stagevu

Hide

Login

Don't remember me (shared computer)
Recover account/Reactivate

Hide

You are not logged in.

Announcement

The forums have been archived. No new posts are allowed. All past posts are stored here for your reference.

#1 2011-02-08 19:45:12

dokidoki

Recent server issues?

The admins report that the server had a few problems and now things are back to normal. [if so, that's good to hear]
Some report that it was only down for a short while, while others report it was down for a week.

My experience is that it was down for a week, and if you "View Source" on the Database Load page, you will get an SQL error message inserted at the end as a comment. Usually this will be "too many connections", but for the week of non-connectivity, it was that the SQL database couldn't be found.

That's okay. Some sort of technical hiccup, waited until the weekend to fix it. I get that. Fine.

What is much more puzzling is that the main server, along with the file servers (n64 et al) were based in The Netherlands. The file servers still are, but in the down-week, StageVu's front end shifted to being hosted in France (according to Flagfox) and now it appears to be an IP address pointing to just below Milwaukee in the US. WTF? Is this correct? Was the server globe-trotting and having more fun than us? Did it bother to send a postcard?
And why the US? They're pretty screwed up re. rights and thanks to The Patriot Act, all personal data held in the US is more or less a case of "all your base are belong to us". I dunno, it just seems like a strange decision to host this site there.

Or is Flagfox (and the on-line IP database) borked and nothing has actually changed?

#2 2011-02-14 09:26:16

Grant

Re: Recent server issues?

It's been more like two weeks that I couldn't reach SV, and I still get the occasional database load. I'm in Central Europe, btw. Was it Esco who mentioned it might have hit only European users? (Couldn't be a DOS attack, then, could it?)

According to the fox, the server packed it's bags again and moved to a camping ground near Paderborn, Germoney...

#3 2011-02-14 20:13:06

khakain
Website

I had one of my favorite sports websites shutdown by homeland security.  I used to watch college basketball on it.  Got to stop those college kids from broadcasting their games, or we'll get exploded by a terrorist. 

Yeah, sorry for straying off topic.

#4 2011-02-14 23:43:54

esCo456

Yeah that is odd. At least a few people said they couldn't access the site for a week, all located in Europe. During that time (I'm in US) there was only one day I couldn't access site, it was a Sunday, like 9 days ago. But it was only one day. As far as moving the server, that means the admin knows what they're doing wink Back when I had a site like this I think we moved once a week... Sometimes Korea, certain countries in Europe, but never in the US... Typically third world countries... People probably never realized how often the sever was moved since the URL was always the same and would bring you to the same site wink

With all the tricks, scripts, and knowledge - sometimes it's hard to tell where the site is hosted from wink

"Believe in none of what you hear and half of what you see"... - Assata Shakur

#5 2011-02-14 23:58:16

esCo456

Also, there's three parts to the site - The SV site itself that enables profiles and messaging, the servers that hold the content, and then the forum. Everything seems to be on same server... That's why when the forum goes down the site goes down.

The SV site and forum don't generate a fraction of the bandwidth used on the servers...

My site was similar but back then everything was FTP so everything was stored on FTP servers and links were provided on the forum. The main site was basically where news and updates were put, links to our chatroom, and links to affiliated sites. So everything was separate. Site was on one server, forum on another, and of course content was accessed via FTP and filled via FXP... So if the site went down, the forum was still up and vise-versa and the content was on either Private or "Borrowed" FTP servers...

Not sure if people still use FTP/FXP? probably just the release groups still use that wink and of course the content spreads like a virus. Plus back then we had members in the release groups so things ran pretty smooth because we had access to their FTPs... Things weren't public back then, you really had to be involved to be a part of the system...

Why did I shut it down? Thingz got a bit too hot eventually...... LoL...

#6 2011-02-15 20:39:20

behindblueeyes

I don't know about the moving server thing, they are probably using a proxy, but the server has been down for at least 4 days for me since that is when I was uploading and the servers went down. I just hope they either get the servers up and running again or tell us a time-frame of how long it will take to fix it. The notice says one or two days, the admins need to stop lying of how long things will take. I understand that sometimes it takes longer, but the admin are once again getting to be really bad about communicating with their users.

#7 2011-02-15 21:19:10

esCo456

Yeah things seems to be taking longer than expected...

Oddly in another post someone from France (they couldn't speak English well but I know French) said that ISPs in France were blocking SV? He said he could only get on via proxy through another country. Anyone else in Europe have that problem? I was just surprised that France would block the site? I figured that all laws were EU and would be the same in all EU? Not sure why they would block this site?

#8 2011-02-24 02:29:14

rr1

Yeah, France is strange lately.. there may be new
laws related to what can be blocked on the internet,
recently.. http://goo.gl/kbI5G

Last edited by rr1 (2011-02-24 02:53:32)

#9 2011-02-24 02:51:24

rr1

esCo456 wrote:

that means the admin knows what they're doing  Back when I had a site like this I think we moved once a week... Sometimes Korea, certain countries in Europe, but never in the US... Typically third world countries... People probably never realized how often the sever was moved since the URL was always the same and would bring you to the same site With all the tricks, scripts, and knowledge - sometimes it's hard to tell where the site is hosted from

esCo456 wrote:

Why did I shut it down? Thingz got a bit too hot eventually...... LoL...

กก Very interesting!!

#10 2011-02-24 03:13:48

esCo456

Yeah, I'm still curious about the users that report they have to use proxy to access site from Europe?

I've seen more than a few people from France, some couldn't speak English well but I talked to them via email and I speak French and they all say the site is being blocked in France? I thought all EU countries had the same internet laws for the most part? Not sure why they would target SV? But other people I've spoken to in Europe haven't had problems. Could be the ISP but either way I'm curious to find out why and how they could block the site legally? EU countries aren't really known for censoring the internet but I have no reason to not believe what they tell me so very strange... Site can still be accessed but not directly...

Anyone else in Europe having issues? This site is free for everyone so everyone should be able to access it and if they can't there's ways around that... Very odd though to hear a country like France doing this? France is a free and progressive country so very surprising... Are there other sites they block??? There's only a few people from France that post here so maybe they can offer some insite. But curious if others in the EU are having same problem???

Board footer